TCS Academic Dean reflects on the article from the Gospel Coalition, "The Parent's Daily Commute":
“As my own two children have left home, one in her Junior year of college and the other working in Los Angeles, I realize that my ‘job is not done’. I need to continue to lift them up before my Father, as they make their own decisions, choose their mates, drive in LA traffic and on the I-5, I cling to Him, to keep them safe, give them discernment and love with God’s love."
This article talks about making tracks in the snow but for us in Hawaii, envision early morning tracks in the sand. This article says that we continue to have the privilege to lead our children to the throne of grace.
Read the article here: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/erik-raymond/parents-daily-commute/
by Christie Pavey, TCS Latin Teacher
Thirty years ago in an old white house in Indianapolis, there was a little girl with curly blonde hair singing and dancing to her new favorite Christmas song, Mele Kalikimaka (as sung by Bing Crosby). She listened to that song over and over again, constantly turning back her plastic record to hear it yet one more time. She even had fun hand motions—when the palm trees sway. The words sounded really fun to her, and she liked saying them, especially as they seemed to be said in a sing-song way. As a preschooler, she didn’t understand that those fun words were a different language—in fact, the first words she would learn in a language besides English. She also didn’t yet know that later she would go on to learn more languages, even teaching one of them...and that eventually she would move to the place where Mele Kalikimaka was ‘the thing to say’.
As I close out my first semester at TCS, and spend my first Christmas in the land of rainbows, I cannot help but reflect on how I have been led to this place. My first non-Anglophone phrase was Hawaiian, and even from that young age, I was already entranced by palm trees, sand, and the warm, shining sun. Now, God has brought me to the place where palm trees sway, where the sun shines bright, and where everyone says Mele Kalikimaka!
Did you get to see our students perform at our K-12 Christmas Concert and today's Preschool Christmas Program? Watch them below!
Preschool Christmas Program
K-12 Christmas Program
Written by: Coach Chong, Photos by students Kaley '20 and Jamie '20.
What is the recipe for a golf tournament to benefit the Trinity Christian School athletic department?
- 2 gold, 1 silver, and 2 bronze sponsors
- 4 hole-in-one prizes, including a 2019 Honda Civic, plus more than 100 other prizes from various supporting companies, organizations and individuals.
- 112 golfers on 28 teams in 56 golf carts playing one of the most scenic golf courses in the U.S.
- more than 120 goodie bags
- 30 cases of bottled water
- good weather after a couple of downpours
- About 20 volunteers comprising of school Admin, faculty, students and parents, some who showed up at the golf course at 6:30 am
- Several student photographers to capture the event for posterity
- Bento lunch and impressive dinner buffet
- Very patient and helpful staff from the Klipper Golf Course, Samuel Adams Grill, and Marine Corps Base Hawaii
And, last but not least:
- A committee of 9 persevering parent volunteers with a vision, who dedicated hundreds of hours over 13 months seeking team entries, sponsors, donors, and prizes.
The TCS athletic department and its student athletes extend a big MAHALO to the sponsors, golfers, and volunteers who made the Inaugural Trinity Classic Golf Tournament possible. Although no one won any of the hole-in-one prizes, all the players and volunteers enjoyed the camaraderie at the event, which was held November 21 at the Klipper Golf Course at Kaneohe Bay. The event raised approximately $15,000, after expenses, for our TCS athletic department.
- Myles Nellans as the youngest player in the tournament
- Parent Gregorio Tiburcio as a last-minute sub who rented golf clubs from the golf shop just minutes before the shotgun start.
- Prayer before the shotgun and the awards banquet by Pastor Todd Capen.
- TCS Business Manager Corinne Alonzo for winning the incentive prize for a round of golf for three at O‘ahu Country Club.
- The TCS Faculty team winning four rounds of golf at Mililani Golf Course. The team consisted of Mark Brians, Eric Fugitt, Joshua McCroskey, and Ben Moore, and were sponsored by Hensel Phelps.
In December, the committee will announce the date and the location for the 2019 Trinity Classic Golf Tournament, which will feature more contests and more prizes. Stay tuned to the Trinity Tabula for details.
We’d like to encourage anybody from the TCS ‘Ohana to join the golf tournament committee. Several of the current committee members are parents of graduating seniors and will be cycling off the committee in the next few weeks. If you’re interested in volunteering, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are many to thank for working on this endeavor:
- Gold Sponsors: Hensel Phelps * Oral Surgery Hawaii
- Silver Sponsor: Inspire Church in Waikele
- Bronze Sponsors: Belfor * Dr. Rodney Marshall
- Hole-in-One Sponsor: Honda Windward
- Tee Sponsor: FACTS
- Special Thanks: Klipper Golf Course at Kaneohe Bay
- Cash Donors: Sandy & Corbett Kalama
- Prize Donors: Bayview Golf Course | Belfor | Big City Diner | Buzz’s Steakhouse | Castillejos Family | Deacon David Chung | Consolidated Theatres | Roger Dunn Golf Shop | Egan’s Bootcamp | Glow Putt Windward Mall | Hardware Hawaii | Jill Hunter | Kualoa Ranch | Lanikai Bath & Body | Leong Family | Lion Coffee | Bruce Nagel Tennis Academy | Nico’s Kailua | Bill Comerford & Fred Remington – O’Toole’s Irish Pub * Papa John’s | Pint Size Corporation | Ruth’s Chris Steak House | Safeway | Sea Life Park | Teddy’s Bigger Burgers | Walmart | Abraham “Abe” Webb | Jeanne Wilks – Cabi | Zippy’s
- Faculty, Students, Parents & Friends: Corinne Alonzo | Linda Kawakami | Vicki Leong | Jeanne Wilks | Lisa Lim | Rob Lim | Nancy Keegan | Bill Burkhalter | Brittany Lum | Kaila Baker | Lauren Baker | Haley Bakey | Taylor Bakey | Kelsie Bothof | Karley Kimitsuka | Brandon Lawrence | Caitlin Lawrence | Noah Leong | Micah Litsey | Jesse Makuakane | Kaley Nellans | Jamie Sagami | Bron Scott | Greg Tiburcio | Jackson Henry | Kanoa McLaren
- Tournament Committee: Carole Chong | Andy Baker | Ruth Baker | Kristin Bothof | Jack Henry | Patty Kimitsuka | Homer Leong | Lee Leong | John Nellans
We apologize for any inadvertent omissions.
“With God, all things are possible.”—Matthew 19:26
Thank You Jesus!